In February of 2008 I started a blog about money before knowing what a “blog” really was, or what I was actually doing with money, for that matter. All I knew was that I had to spend my free time much more productively than staring at MySpace 24/7 (remember them?)
Six years later, here I am self-employed, working on my own little empire on the web, and recently named one of the Top 30 “Social Influencers in Personal Finance & Wealth” online. Having successfully grown and created a number of interesting projects, as well as stumbling and failing along the way too. All these years later though, I am just as excited and ready to pour my heart into the next project as I was in the beginning.
Here are some of my favorite projects:
Budgets Are Sexy // BudgetsAreSexy.com // 2008 – present
“A personal finance blog that won’t put you to sleep”
- Over 7 Million page views and counting
- Over 8,000 subscribers, 19,000 Twitter followers, and 6,000 Facebook Fans
- Featured in The New York Times, Yahoo! Finance, Huffington Post, L.A. Times, Kiplinger, MSN, U.S. News & World Report, Business Insider and more
- Has an incredibly active community with over 60,000 comments
- Turned the blog from a hobby to a full-time (“real”) job within two years
- Been motivating people to pay attention to their money every since!
Rockstar Finance // RockstarFinance.com // 2013 – present
“A collection of AWESOME money articles”
- Named one of the best sites for money advice by Business Insider.
- Reached 100,000 visits within four months, now reaching 60,000 monthly
- Regularly picked up by LifeHacker, Business Insider, and others looking for good tips
Coin Thrill // CoinThrill.com // 2014 – present
“A blog on coins, currency, and commentary…”
- Launched in February ’14 to share my love/knowledge of coin collecting
- Goal is to get the younger generation interested in a typically older hobby
Love Drop // LoveDrop.us // 2011 (retired)
“Spend a dollar, change a life”
- Raised over $90,000 of money and gifts within 12 months (including a car)
- Grew our team to over 1,000 members across 10 different countries around the world
- Traveled the country “dropping” this love on 12 beautiful, and well-deserving, families
- Documented entire project via film a la Extreme Makeover: Home Ed. (“Move that truck!“)
- Jump started the 1st Financial Blogger Conference with a large-scale charity event
- Harnessed the power of micro-giving proving $1 really can change a life
Here’s a video we put together showcasing the amazing year with Love Drop. With music granted, and provided, by Mat Kearney (thanks for believing in us, man!)
All of the others I have either sold, shut down, or are currently in “limbo” stage waiting :)
If you’re ever interested in partnering up, or even offloading one of your own projects, let me know as I not only occasionally invest in them, but I may also be able to help find you a buyer. I live for this stuff, so always happy to help!